Toothbrushes are everyday objects that we often do not spend much time thinking about. You may even think every toothbrush is equal in cleaning your teeth effectively. This is false. The toothbrush you use and how you use it can make or break your oral health journey, and it is essential to choose the right one. If you have no idea where to start, do not worry! We are here to share some tips and tricks for choosing the right toothbrush and using it effectively.
Toothbrushes first became mainstream in the 1930s, but there were not many options. Almost everyone was stuck with a toothbrush that had nylon bristles. Today, it is a different story. In the United States, we are lucky enough to have many toothbrushes at our fingertips at local grocery stores and drugstores. You may think the only two types of toothbrushes out there are manual and electric, but think again!
Five things to keep in mind when choosing a toothbrush:
- Safety. Safety may not be something that comes to mind when you think about brushing your teeth. However, it is imperative to choose a safe toothbrush for your unique oral health and your brushing tendencies. For example, if you generally brush aggressively, an electric toothbrush may be a better choice for you as it will make it easier to be gentle while still cleaning your mouth.
- Professional recommendations. When looking for a new toothbrush, it is best to get the opinion of your dentist. They will have suggestions that are tailored to your personal oral health needs. When buying one, it is also essential to make sure that you pick one with the American Dental Association (ADA) seal of approval.
- Variety of bristles. You may notice that some toothbrushes have uniform bristles across the whole head while others have a mixture of soft to stiff bristles and even some rubber components. Choosing which type is right for you should be based on your oral health. For example, if you have gum problems, it is best to stick with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- What should my child use? It is crucial to pick out a toothbrush for your child that can easily fit into their hand and has soft bristles. If your child is old enough to comprehend, have them pick out their toothbrush. Getting children involved in this process early will make oral hygiene more fun for them.
- Manual vs. Electric. Many people falsely assume that electric toothbrushes are leaps and bounds more effective than manual toothbrushes. This is false. It is more vital that you effectively know how to use your toothbrush correctly, and the manual versus electric debate comes down to personal preference.
Believe it or not, this is just the tip of the iceberg for picking out a toothbrush. Cost, likability, and size are important factors in choosing the right toothbrush. The more you consider these things, the easier it will be for you to find a toothbrush that is the perfect fit for your oral hygiene journey! Give Flower Mound Dental a call today at (972) 691-8337 if you have any questions about choosing a toothbrush or would like to schedule an appointment. Click here to learn about proper gum care.